Welcome to Ancient worldz

Ancient worldz is a blog were I compare the worlds that ancient and medievil peoples inhabited and thrived in to the modern world. I also try to illustrate the stories with my drawings and painted miniatures.
comments are much appreciated, and thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Republic!










These are some pics of my 28mm Republican Romans.

The army of the early-mid Roman Republic was responsible for most of the conquest, and growth that the Empire maintained. The Republics armies had major differences from the Imperial Roman army. It was comprised of a citizen army, not a professional army. Furthermore, the equipment was not standardized till the time of Marius in the late Republic. The Republican Romans were also drawn into five warrior classes based on wealth, Velites (pic#6 skirmishers, also the youngest and poorest ) Hastati ( pic#3 &7 light infantrymen, the lower middle class, young men who fought in the first rank), Principes (pic# 1&2 medium infantrymen, men in the prime of life, they had better armour, and were a bit more wealthy than the Hastati), Triari (pic #4 heavy infantrymen, who fought with a spear opposed to a javelin used by the other ranks; these were also the old wealthy veterans, who could afford the best armour), and the Equites or knights (pic# 5 these were the highest social class of plebs who could afford a horse and maintain it on campaign),

( all miniatures are 28mm foundry republican roman miniatures)

7 comments:

Tyler Dawbin said...

Did you provide the props for "Night at the Museum"?

Cool collection of figurines, friend...

What sparks your interest in these ancient worlds?

Dan Buraga said...

Oscar, this really is an intriguing blog (I echo Tyler's post & questions) :-)

Rambling Peri said...

Thanks, Oscar, for your comment :) You might want to check out my other blog: Ramblings of a Fool for Life -I update that one more often. I'd love to hear what you think.

As for your Ancient worldz: I really like it...good stuff. I'll be definitely checking in more regularly.

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Man, your ability to paint and detail your figures is astounding. You have an amazing talent. It's too bad you don't have a camera that yields really close macro shots -- I'd love to see the actual detail. Excellent work!

BZ

David Morris said...

This is a really interesting blog entry. I am really interested in ancient history and I never knew the difference between Republican and Imperial Romans.

Lhjunkie said...

I'm linking your this blog to mine. Very interesting, indeed!

Puz said...

Great blog Oscar! I like the blood spatter detail on the figurine in the third picture down. It's inspiring to see people that are fascinated with history, keep up the good work.

I'm going to link to your blog(s)on my page if you don't mind.